Saturday, March 8, 2014

What makes a story?

I'm not sure I know how to answer that. A story we know has a beginning, middle, and end. It can be laced full of mystery, romance, murder, mayhem, laughter, and tears. But where do ideas come from?

I dream stories. They appear to me in snippets or grand detail depending on their mood. I hear the sounds of the rain or wind, the swish of silk, or pounding of the horses hooves. My hero and heroine have voices, dialect, even accents. They appear in the scene as if I'm watching the movie. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I awake remembering their direction. It's so easy then to jot down what I need to do. Other times, the visions are cloudy. I feel like Dumbledore attempting to reach out and pull the memories from his mind. Writing then becomes a bit more work than pleasure.

Because writing is a verb, I choose to do it. I let those sweet dreams take hold and give my feet wings of flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment